How to Find the Perfect Photo Shoot Location.
Finding the perfect place can be confusing, I’ve been there…for myself and for my clients, read on to know how to sift through the options.
Choosing a perfect photo shoot location might seem like a big deal but it really doesn’t have to be difficult. A location usually drives some of the other decisions you will need to make about your shoot so it’s important to choose the right place. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you decide on a location:
- What kind of theme do I want? If a particular building or natural backdrop would work well with your theme, look around your area for spots that meet your requirements. If you don’t know what kind of backdrop you want, take an afternoon drive around your city for inspiration. It’s easy to overlook beautiful spots that are practically in your backyard. Ask family, friends or your photographer for ideas too.
- Are you allowed to take pictures there? Make sure that you can legally take pictures at the location that you have in mind. If it’s not public property or available to the public you will need to get permission first.
- Is it accessible? Consider that not all outdoor locations may be available all year round or you might not be able to get to them at all. Your safety is also an important aspect to think about before you decide on a location. Taking pictures on a mountain ledge may look neat but it’s best not to put yourself in harm’s way.
- How do you get to your location? Will it be easy to walk to the session location? if not, are you able to change your clothing and touch up your hair and makeup before the shoot? You should also find out whether there is a restroom close enough in case you need it; specially with kids and/or if you are pregnant.
- Will the photo session be in a public place? If the location you have chosen has a lot of foot traffic, you need to ask yourself whether you are comfortable being photographed in front of others. If not, you might want to rethink your choice in location. Also very crowded areas might be hard to render a beautiful photo no matter how beautiful the background.
- Is it close to you? Specially for family photos, you want to shoot at the location of your dreams but keep it where your family will arrive there HAPPY AND FRESH. sometimes we fantasize with the most amazing location but the timing, age of our kids and logistics might not be great. Remember is all about the subject, your loved ones, so they come first and location comes second.
- Does the location represent you? Choose a location that speaks to your heart, that represents you, the more YOU and YOUR FAMILY feel at ease the more beautiful the images will be.
- Time of the year/Temperature/lighting research all this things before hand. they can make or break your shoot. A Las Vegas desert location at 3 pm might not be wise during summer but might be the most amazing lighting in the winter months. Bing prepared is key.
Make sure that your location doesn’t become a distraction and that there is shelter nearby if you need it.
Your location tells a story so it’s worthwhile to choose a meaningful spot.
Consider booking a Complimentary consultation with a professional who is familiar with locations, different looks, times of the day for each location etc.
Check out this Maternity shoot in the bellow location and how it can be used completely different depending time of the year and time of the day
We would Love to hear from you and what are your favorite locations to take pictures of your family, your pets and your loved ones!
Connect with us through email or social media.